Hamilton pleased with fifth place in F1 season-opener
Melbourne: Lewis Hamilton was happy with his fifth-place finish in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, in what was his first Formula1 outing with new team Mercedes.
The 28-year-old Hamilton, who started from second row on the grid, challenged throughout the contest at Albert Park but suffered as a result of high tyre wear and was forced to take a third pit stop.
"I`m happy with our result today and it`s much better than we expected for the first race of the season. The car felt really good out there; I had a strong first stint and was able to make the supersofts last longer than most of the others," said Hamilton.
"We`d planned for two stops but converted to a three-stop strategy during the race. I don`t quite know where we lost the ground to the cars ahead so we`ll have a look at the race again now and figure it out."
Hamilton`s career since his youth days was spent at McLaren until last season when he inked a three-year deal with Mercedes.
The 2008 World champion, the British driver said he was now anxiously anticipating next week`s race at Sepang.
"Thanks to everyone here and back at base for their support over my first race weekend with Mercedes," Hamilton said.
"Now we`ll look forward to Malaysia next weekend and hopefully build on this positive start with an improved performance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble