Hamilton suffers brakes problems from early battles
London: Lewis Hamilton said his early-race battle with Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg led to the brake problems that finally ended his challenge in Sunday`s Canadian Grand Prix
Hamilton and Rosberg were locked in a close and dramatic fight for the lead until they both began to suffer from Energy Recovery System problems that also led, in the end, to them losing speed - and Australian Daniel Ricciardo claiming his maiden victory for Red Bull.
"I was following him and when you`re following someone you`re gaining more heat," said Hamilton. "He was in clean air all the time in front.
"There was not much I could do. When I came out in front, everything was cooked already."
Hamilton said he was informed soon after his first pit-stop that both he and Rosberg had mechanical problems.
"We knew as a team that we had some issues in the second stint, but we thought we would be able to manage it," he said.
"I got him in the (second) stop and was thinking `finally, wow, what an amazing feeling`. Then straight away on that lap the brakes failed."
Championship leader Rosberg nursed his wounded car home in second place behind Ricciardo, a result that has lifted him 22 points clear of Hamilton.
"The team still got 18 points so we`ll move on and hope we don`t have any more DNFs," said Hamilton.
"I`ve had a lot of work to do since race one (when he retired in Melbourne).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH