Hamilton takes Abu Dhabi GP as Vettel spins out
Vineet Ramakrishnan/Zeenews Sports Bureau
Abu Dhabi: It was Mclaren's Lewis Hamilton who took the top honours at the picturesque Yas Marina racing circuit at Abu Dhabi on Sunday.
Double Champion Sebastain Vettel who started off from the pole position spun out of control and damaged the rare suspension retiring in the second lap itself.
Ferrari's Fernando Alsonso finished second after starting fifth from the grid. Jenson Button was put under a lot of pressure by Red bull's Mark Webber, but the Brit held off the Australian's challenge to finish on the podium in third place.
Force India's Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta finished 8th and 9th respectively behind Mercedes duo of Nico Rosberg (6th) and Micheal Shumacher (7th).
Webber finished 4th after a last lap pit-stop which could be attributed to a tactical error on Red Bull strategy. Webber though drove the last twenty laps like a man possessed racking up fastest laps on three occasions between Lap 45 to 52.
Kamui Kobayashi of Sauber also had a good race finishing 10th after starting 16th on the grid.
Along with Vettel, who failed to finish a race since Korean GP way back in 2010, Sebastian Buemi (Toro Rosso) and Jerome d'Ambrosio (Virgin Racing) also retired.
It was a clean start at the Yas Marina with Vettel taking the
lead and Button fighting his way to second. Fernando Alonso also had a scintillating start holding off Webber to take the 3rd slot.
But by the second lap Vettel spun out of lead giving the opening for Hamilton who grabbed and held it till the end of the race.
Alsonso did close in on the Brit on quite a few occasions but was not able to find a way through.
An elated Hamilton dedicated his first victory at Abu Dhabi to his mother through the team Radio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened