Hamilton won’t get gravel-trapped in Shanghai again
Shanghai: Lewis Hamilton will never forget the patch of trackside gravel at the Shanghai International Circuit where his 2007 world title challenge died, and has no plans to revisit it this weekend.
The McLaren driver’s precocious challenge for the Formula One crown in his rookie season was effectively ended when he slid off at the entrance to the pit lane and got stuck at the Chinese Grand Prix.
“I definitely know where the gravel trap is now so that won’t happen again,” the 25-year-old Briton joked ruefully on Thursday.
Hamilton could have clinched the title with victory in China, the penultimate race of that season, and was leading when his team’s decision to keep him out on a greasy track for a few more laps on deteriorating tyres backfired dramatically.
He made some amends with a commanding pole to flag victory in Shanghai on his way to securing the world title the following year and, as a more experienced driver, said he would never allow a repeat of the 2007 calamity now.
“Being a few years down the line I think I am able to understand and make calls myself,” said Hamilton ahead of Sunday’s Chinese Grand Prix.
“But as a team I don’t think we’d put ourselves in that position again. I’m confident that won’t happen.”
With superb drives in the last two races earning two sixth places, Hamilton said he was hoping for a “normal” race weekend to allow him to show the true potential of his car.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks