Honda rule out Stoner return to Australian Grand Prix
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 12:09
  
Honda rule out Stoner return to Australian Grand Prix
Sydney: Honda team boss Livio Suppo on Tuesday ruled out Casey Stoner making a wildcard appearance at his home Australian Grand Prix despite the former world Moto GP champion testing with the Japanese manufacturer.

Stoner fuelled speculation of a return to the sport when he test-rode with his old team earlier this month and said it was "really good to get back on the bike after nine months".

But Suppo said the 27-year-old Australian, who shocked the sport last year when he retired at the peak of his career and switched to V8 Supercars, had no plans to compete again.

"For every manufacturer, to have a fast test rider is something like a dream; it`s almost impossible to find a super-fast rider to do tests," Suppo told the Australian Grand Prix podcast.


"With Casey, it was a perfect situation. Since he retired, we spoke about his dream to still ride the bike sometimes. Everybody expects this means he will come back racing, but that`s not the case."

"We are more than happy to have such a strong and fast rider in testing available, (and) Casey is very good at understanding the bike and giving suggestions to the engineers," added Suppo.

"Even if he enjoyed the test, that doesn`t mean he`s thinking to do a wildcard."

The Australian Grand Prix takes place at Phillip Island from October 18 to 20.

AFP

First Published: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 12:09


comments powered by Disqus