Huge task to fill Schumi`s shoes: Hamilton
New Delhi: Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton Wednesday said he will have big shoes to fill when he moves to Mercedes from McLaren in 2013.
The 27-year-old Hamilton will be replacing seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.
"I have huge shoes to fill in at Mercedes and it will be difficult. I grew up watching Michael on TV and win all the titles," said Hamilton at a press conference here.
"When I made my debut in 2007, I was upset that I never got a chance to race Schumacher as he retired at the end of 2006. It was surreal for me when he came back to racing in 2010."
When asked about current World Champion Sebastian Vettel`s performance this year, Hamilton said: "Vettel is lucky to have such a dominant car and for so long. For whatever reasons, we did not have that fast enough and consistent car. But I have no complaints. Next year the title is out of question for me, seeing the picture realistically, but I will try to make a comeback in 2014."
Agreeing that the driver`s title is realistically out of his reach this year, he said his current target is to win the constructors` title which McLaren have not won since 1998.
"My current target is to help my team win the constructors` title. With four races remaining I would like to try my best and if possible win races," said Hamilton, who has won three rounds this year.
Commenting on his own performance this season, the 2008 World Champion said: "It has not been a great year for me. We had a good start in the first seven races and were quite strong. But lately we have not been fighting enough at the front. I retired in many races which hampered my title chances."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh