Hulkenberg to start 15th, Di Resta 11th in Japan GP
Suzuka: Sahara Force India`s Nico Hulkenberg qualified 10th but will start tomorrow`s Japanese Grand Prix from the 15th position on the grid after being handed a five-place penaltly due to an unscheduled gearbox change.
Paul di Resta today qualified 12th but will move one place up to 11th, just behind Felipe Massa of Ferrari.
The two Red Bull cars will line up in the front row with defending champion Sebastian Vettel taking the pole position ahead of teammate Mark Webber.
McLaren`s Jenson Button was third but a five-place penalty pushes him to eighth.
After managing his fastest lap time in 1:32.272, which was marginally better than his Q1 timing (1:32.828), Hulkenberg did not set a time in Q3 to save tyres keeping in mind the penalty.
"The build-up to qualifying was quite intense because the guys were working hard to repair my car after the accident this morning. It was not a big impact, but the angle was unfortunate and there was quite a lot to fix ? so all credit to the boys who got me out with enough time to set a time in Q1," he said.
"The car felt good straight away and we made it through to Q3, which was always the target. We then took a strategic decision to save tyres so I didn`t set a time. That opens up the strategy for tomorrow, especially because we knew I would get a five-place grid penalty for changing the gearbox," he said.
Paul Di Resta, who got into Q2 with a timing of 1:32.898, improved margninally (1:32.327) but that was not enough to go into Q3.
"It was quite a tough session with traffic today and even on my quick lap in Q2 I was slightly compromised in the second sector. I locked a wheel and it may only have cost half a tenth, but that’s how close the margin was to the top ten."
"For tomorrow it`s clear that tyre wear will be a big issue for everyone, but hopefully we can use the strategy to challenge the people in front. There are some question marks going into the race because I`ve done no high fuel running, but we have data with the other car."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?