Inaugural New Jersey GP postponed till 2014 after organisers miss ‘wake up call’
London: Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has said the opening Grand Prix of America in New Jersey will be postponed to 2014 because local organisers need more time to prepare.
“They`ve run out of time. There are all sorts of things...and they didn`t quite think it all through. They`ve had a wake-up call but the wake-up call came too late,” the Daily Mail quoted Ecclestone, as saying.
“They couldn`t get everything ready in time,`` added the 81-year-old. That`s the bottom line,” he added.
According to the paper, Ecclestone said the plan now was for a race in 2014, when the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi is also due to make its debut on the calendar after that year`s Winter Olympics there.
The waterfront Grand Prix of America, with the New York skyline as a backdrop, had been penciled in for June 16 next year, and would have followed a weekend after the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal as a North American double-header, according to the paper.
Ecclestone had raised doubts about the Jersey race in September when he said organisers had not complied with the terms and conditions of the contract, which he added had subsequently lapsed, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use