India to host 2012 season final of FIA GT1 World Championship
New Delhi: India will play host to the season final race of FIA`s GT1 World Championship on December 3 at the sparkling Budh International Circuit (BIC).
The circuit, which hosted Formula One`s maiden Indian Grand Prix in October last year, will be the second venue in Asia after Beijing and Ordos in China.
The World GT1 race, scheduled for December 2, takes the vacant spot on the 10-race calendar published late last year.
Stephane Ratel, founder and CEO of SRO Motorsports Group, the official organiser of FIA`s GT1 World Championship, said the calendar for the coming season will climax with the final round in India.
"India completes the 2012 calendar in every way. It fulfils our ambition to continue to break new ground in global markets, taking world-class GT racing to new and exciting locations. To secure events in the three capital cities of the three fastest growing markets for luxury cars is a major step forward," Ratel said in a statement.
India was one of the top priorities for Ratel, who has long targeted races in the South Asian.
"To secure events in the three capital cities of the three fastest-growing markets for luxury cars is a major step forward."
Constructed in 2010, the 5.125-kilometre track, situated at Greater Noida near here, was designed by Hermann Tilke.
Sameer Gaur, MD and CEO of Jaypee Sports International Limited (JPSI), which owns the circuit, said it was a great honour for BIC.
"It is indeed a matter of great pleasure for us to be a part of the FIA GT1 World Championship. After having hosted a hugely successful F1 race at BIC last October, we are fully prepared for another successful international race. I am sure Indian motorsport fans would love it and India would soon acquire its rightful place in the world of high-speed motor racing," Gaur said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice