Indian-born `first lady` of F1 to run operations for Sauber in new season
Washington: An Indian-born lawyer, who is the first woman to become CEO and team principal of a Formula 1 team, will soon be running team operations from track to boardroom as the new season gets underway.
Monisha Kaltenborn, in charge of sixth in last year`s team championship F1 team Sauber, had played an important trackside role for the team in Grand Prix races even before she took over as team principal.
Kaltenborn, who grew up watching Grand Prix as a child, said that as a team principal one gets a very exposed position at the track side, adding that she had fought to get recognition in a sport which is considered male-dominated.
Kaltenborn, who was born in Dehradun, India, said that she is not disturbed by the use of `grid girls` or glamorous women holding markers to give teams` grid positions, in Formula 1 and added that they do not undermine the effort be women to be taken seriously by the `macho` sport.
Joking that girls are more suited to be in the role than men, Kaltenborn hoped that her record will encourage more woman and girls to come into motorsports.
However, Kaltenborn said that there is still time for a woman F1 driver to reach a pole position, adding that it is important to start the grooming of the female drivers in the grassroots level in the same way as the men so help them reach the top levels in the sport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!