Indian GP is great event, a solution should come out: Monisha
New Delhi: India-born Monisha Kaltenborn, the first ever woman Team Principal of a Formula One team, today said it was sad that Indian Grand Prix would not be part of the 2014 calender since it was a "great event".
F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone in a reshuffle of the 2014 calender chucked out the Indian race, which is expected to be part of the 2015 season in the first half.
"It`s obviously sad that India is not on the Formula One calendar in 2014," Monisha, the Sauber Team Principal.
"In only two years India had established itself as a great event with a lot of interest by the Indian people. I truly hope that a solution can be found for the future," the 42-year-old said.
Ecclestone, the octogenarian F1 Czar, had cited political problems, a veiled reference to tax issues in the country, for dropping the Indian race.
Organisers Jaypee Sports International (JPSI) preferred a slot in October 2014 but eventually agreed for the change.
Ecclestone will present the 2014 calendar to the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) for approval next month, with teams reluctant to go to more than 20 races.
This year`s calendar has 19 races. After India`s dropping, now 21 venues are jostling to find a place in the 2014 calender with Russia likely to make its debut and New Jersey and Austria also in the fray to host a race.
Bureaucratic hurdles in India were the major reason for Ecclestone`s decision and Monisha said ideally there should not be any problems for hosting of the race.
"Formula One and India, that`s two great things, and I really think that no obstacles should be put in the way," Monisha said.
Monisha, who was born in Dehradun, categorically said that Indian GP was important for Formula One.
"Absolutely. It`s not only important for F1 and its sponsors to be present in India, it`s also a great benefit for India to be present in Formula One," she said.
"Formula One is a small and exclusive circle, which provides India with the opportunity to show its level of high tech to the whole world."
The Jaypee Group had invested over USD 400 million, including a license fee of USD 35-45 million, to build the Buddh International circuit in Greater Noida.
The inaugural edition in 2011 was a sellout but sale tickets suffered in the second edition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes