2013 Indian GP lacks celebrity quotient
Greater Noida: A sari-clad Jessica Michibata, a fashion model and girlfriend of McLaren driver Jenson Button, stole the limelight in the paddock of the 2013 Indian Grand Prix, which was devoid of colour and celebrity quotient.
The current edition of the race was a complete contrast of the inaugural Indian GP where glitz and glamour was in full show.
With uncertainty looming large over the future of the Indian GP after it has been scrapped from the 2014 calendar, there was hardly any buzz around the event this time.
Bollywood`s perennial bad man and a big fan of Formula One, Gulshan Grover was the first to arrive at the Buddh International Circuit here on Sunday.
Among others celebrities who were spotted at the BIC were actress Gul Panag, Union Minister Shahi Tharoor and his better half Sunanda Pushkar, ace double trap shooter Ronjan Sodhi, chairman of Sahara India Pariwar and part owner of Sahara Force India team Subrata Roy and his wife Sapna Roy and Force India team principal Vijay Mallya.
In the absence of top Indian celebrities, it was Michibata, born to an Argentine father and Japanese mother, who turned out to be the centre of attraction at the BIC.
Wearing a traditional pink sari, Michibata was in huge demand among the Indian media.
There were also rumours around the BIC`s paddock area that megastar Amitabh Bachchan could make an appearance during the race but it was not to be.
Even F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who was present during the first two Indian GPs, gave the 2013 race a miss, raising further doubts about the sport`s future in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27