Mark Webber hails Indian fans’ enthusiasm for F1
Greater Noida: Red Bull driver Mark Webber Thursday said India has shown “incredible enthusiasm” for Formula 1 despite cricket being the No.1 sport in the country.
“Obviously the fan base is certainly growing very, very fast. I know cricket is the No.1 sport here by a long way but they’ve certainly shown some incredible enthusiasm to try and understand and attract some interest in the sport,” Webber said here at the Buddh International Circuit (BIC) ahead of the Indian Grand Prix this weekend.
Formula 1 in India faces an uncertain future with no race in 2014 and a big question mark over the Grand Prix’s return in 2015. But the Australian hopes that the race returns in future.
“They’re proud to have a very high profile sport which Formula 1 is and the track layout is sensational. They’re doing what they can to hold a very nice event here but it doesn’t seem to have been enough for next year. I hope that we can come back in the future,” added Webber, who will retire from the sport at the end of the season.
Webber’s statements were echoed by Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg.
“The track is fantastic to drive; they’ve done a really good job with that. There’s a growing fan base and a lot of fans in India. It’s great to be here and it’s a pity that there’s no Indian Grand Prix next year and I hope that maybe some time in the future we can come back again,” said Rosberg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO