Indian Grand Prix is definitely on: Mallya
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry might have refused assistance but Force India owner Vijay Mallya says India will host its maiden Formula One Grand Prix race as scheduled in 2011.
"We are definitely going to host the event. The
organisers have acquired the land in Greater Noida and have
started building the track," Mallya told PTI from
Spa-Francorchamps, where Giancarlo Fisichella finished second
in the Belgian Grand Prix to win Force India`s first Formula
The 2011 Indian Grand Prix ran into rough weather after
the Sports Ministry denied JPSK Sports, promoter of the event
in India, approval to the remittance of USD 36.5 million to
Formula One Administration in UK.
Adamant Sports Ministry officials maintain Formula One
does not have the social relevance of an Olympic sport and
have refused to give their nod to the transaction, which comes
under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) because it`s
Asked about the Sports Ministry`s stance, Mallya said,
"Look, this is a substantial amount of money to be transacted
out of the country and the Ministry officials naturally have
some concerns. May be the promoters need to meet them again
and explain it in details."
Mallya, in fact, is baffled by the Sports Ministry`s
stand against the Indian Grand Prix and wonders what prompted
it to say that Formula One is not a sport as such.
"How can they say that Formula One is not sport?" he
"When hundreds of millions of people worldwide follow it
as a sport, what makes them believe otherwise?" a miffed
"Formula One is the most watched sports in the world, of
course outside Olympic Games and World Cup soccer. So it`s
really unfair if someone says that Formula One is not a
sport," Mallya said.
The Sports Ministry is not impressed with the promoters`
logic that the Indian Grand Prix would boost tourism and real
estate in the country.
"If that`s the case, why don`t they go to the Tourism
ministry instead of knocking our door," a Ministry official
"Strictly in this context, the Ministry did not find the
remittance desirable. They sought our recommendation for an
outflow of nearly Rs 200 crore which the Ministry felt was not
justified for a motor race," added Joint secretary in the
Sports Ministry I Srinivas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi