Interlagos revamp to improve F1 driver safety
Sao Paulo: The first phase of a $65 million revamp of Brazil's Interlagos Formula 1 track has been completed.
Among new features are improved access to pit lane and an "escape" area after the main straight, according to a federal government statement Thursday, reports Xinhua.
The second and final phase of work, which includes the refurbishment of pit lane, is due for completion in May.
"These changes guarantee the event as part of the Formula 1 calendar until 2020," Brazil's tourism minister Vinicius Lages said.
According to Sao Paulo state government spokesman Wilson Poit, the redevelopment will make Interlagos the third safest circuit in the world.
"Interlagos will also be one of the most modern tracks," Poit said.
Formula 1 chiefs have come under renewed pressure to improve track safety after Marussia driver Jules Bianchi suffered serious injuries in a crash at Japan's Suzuka circuit earlier this month.
Interlagos will stage the F1 season's penultimate Grand Prix Nov 9.