IOC could postpone Sochi 2014 Formula One race
Lausanne: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) could postpone the 2014 Formula One Grand Prix in Sochi if it feels it will hamper preparations for the Winter Olympics there in the same year.
City officials have said the track would be ready well ahead of the Feb. 7-23 Olympics in the Black Sea resort but the IOC said on Tuesday it still had the legal power to postpone Russia`s first F1 race if it interfered with Games` preparations.
"We really looked carefully," Olympic Games Executive Director Gilbert Felli said after receiving a progress report on the Sochi Olympic preparations.
"It is good to have the F1 Grand Prix in Russia and Sochi. However we do not want to have the facility, built for the Grand Prix, to put construction or preparation for the Games at risk."
"When we learned the GP could be organised in 2014 we wanted to know if it is an issue. In the contract they (Russian race organisers) signed there is an escape that if the IOC decides it is not feasible then it could be rescheduled in 2015."
Asked who would decide the postponing of the race, Felli said: "It is the IOC."
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin announced the seven-year deal, worth reportedly more than USD 200 million, in October.
Sochi has been rushing to build most Olympic venues from scratch after being awarded the Games in 2007.
Felli said, however, that progress was on track with 70 percent of construction expected to be completed by the end of 2011.
"Some 40 percent of construction is finished and in 2011 70 percent will be finished," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly