Irungattokottai to host Asian Super Bikes Championship
Chennai: India`s lone international road racing track at Irungattokottai, near suburban Sriperumbudur, has been spruced up at a cost of Rs 80 lakh as it is gearing up to host the fourth leg of Petronas Asian Super Bikes Championship after a gap of 13 years, on Sunday.
Vicky Chandhok, chairman of the event`s organizing committee, addressing a press conference here today, expressed high hope that Indian contenders will put up some good show in the championship.
"The Madras Motor Sports Trust, owners of the track, has spent Rs 80 lakh for resurfacing the 3.2km distance and also relocated marshal points throughout the track, gravel traps on the run off areas along the track and set up temporary stands for spectators," Chandhok said.
Indians will compete in both 600cc and 115cc categories while for the first time a woman rider, Alisha Abdullah is vying for honours in an Asian Championship this year.
Three of the Indian riders - Dilip Roger of Team Blue
Arrow Racing, Preetham Dev Moses and Krishnan Rajini (of Red
Roosters) - have all been performing well in the international
The field in the 115cc (four stroke) category, also to be
held on September 6, would have three Indian riders on TVS
Suzuki vehicles - T K Viswanath, Karthik and Harry Sylvesterm,
as private entries.
In all, the grid would have 23 vehicles in this section.
Chandhok said the round three of the Honda MRF UAM Asia
Cup Road racing would also be held as part of the Sidvin
Festival of Speed.
Two riders from each of the participating countries would
ride (two races) identical Honda Stunner 125cc bikes.
The two qualifying events would be held on September 4
and 5. On both the days riders would benefited from free
practice sessions of 45 and 40 minutes, respectively.
First three rounds of the event were held in Malaysia
(April), Japan (May) and Indonesia (June).
The final two rounds will be held at the Zuhai Circuit in
China in October and December respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what