Is Vettel getting as monotonous as Usain Bolt?
Greater Noida: Sebastian Vettel winning around Formula 1 circuits is getting as monotonous as Usain Bolt scorching the tracks around the world, or so it would seem. The German driver has dominated the adrenalin sport much like the Jamaican sprinter. Even their critics grudgingly accept that they are truly great.
Vettel is in a hurry. He is the youngest to win four consecutive world championships. His triumph at the Indian Grand Prix Sunday was his sixth successive win and tenth overall in 16 races of the unfinished season and the German`s name is taken in the same breath as iconic Michael Schumacher (seven titles), Juan Manuel Fangio (five) and Alain Prost (four).
However, some have started saying that his uncompromising domination of the sport for so long is making it a bit boring.
But these pundits also say that Vettel can`t be blamed for the predictable trend. They accept that the 26-year-old is simply unbeatable and others need to find ways to challenge him more intently to make racing more competitive and interesting.
"I think Sebastian is simply outstanding. Today, I can say he is probably the best we have had. I would put him right alongside greats like Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. If someone is that good, you can only congratulate him. The others have to speed up. Vettel is the best at the moment and others are not good enough," former three-time drivers` world champion Niki Lauda told IANS.
Vettel did not face trouble winning the 2011 crown but he had to work hard in 2010 and 2012 when he clinched the championship by a narrow margin of three-four points. He felt the heat in the first half this year but six wins in a row in the second, put him in command.
Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn refused to believe that Vettel made the sport boring. The Indian-origin team chief, who first gave Vettel a chance to compete in F1 in 2007, said the others should take it as a challenge to catch up.
"Sebastian`s performance over the last four years has been very impressive. I don`t think it is boring. I think it is simply one team dominating. It is actually a push for all the other teams to try to improve and catch the team in front," the Dehradun born Kaltenborn told IANS.
Vettel`s mastery reminds us of the first half of the last decade when Ferrari`s Michael Schumacher won five consecutive world titles, forcing F1`s governing body, the FIA, to change the rules to make the championship more competitive.
Former F1 driver and now a media expert Martin Brundle agreed that Vettel winning everything is not ideal for the sport, but the true fan will appreciate the history the Red Bull driver is creating.
"It is not ideal because in sport you don`t want to know the result before the match. We have to appreciate the excellence and it is not his fault. It`s the others who need to rise to the occasion. You can`t complain about him winning," said Brundle, now a commentator.
"You watch Usain Bolt winning 100 metres. We want him to win because he is amazing and I think Vettel is amazing behind the wheel of a racing car. The true F1 fans are appreciating the excellence while hoping for some surprises. If people just walk away from F1 just because Vettel is winning then they are just casual fans. Things may change next year but you can`t criticise him for doing a great job," added Brundle, who raced in the 1980-90s against the likes of Schumacher, Prost and Senna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly