It`s not different handling Hamilton: McLaren Team Principal
Greater Noida: Lewis Hamilton`s love for aggressive driving has often drawn criticisms, but McLaren Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh backed the British driver, saying it`s a pleasure to have him in the side.
Hamilton has been involved in many crashes because of his driving style. But at the same time he has tremendous control over the car that reflects in his overtaking skills. In 2010 he had 32 overtakes in four races.
Asked how difficult it is to handle a driver with such temperament, Whitmarsh said it did not make much of a difference.
"To be honest, it`s not different. We have seen him develop. Helped him and guided him. He is very self critical. He draws a lot of attention because of the star quality. He gets more focus and there is high level of scrutiny. We are pleased to have him in the team," Whitmarsh said.
Even in inaugural Indian Grand Prix, Hamilton and old foe, Ferrari`s Felipe Massa collided although it was the Brazilian who was at fault.
Hamilton has been going through a personal crisis since his relationship with singer girlfriend Nicole Scherzinge ended recently.
Asked how the team management responds when such a scenario appears and if drivers like interference in personal matters, Whitmarsh said they support their racers.
"It depends on the nature of the crisis and the relationship of the management. We need to support them as drivers are valuable assets of the team," he said.
Whitmarsh also said that there is healthy competition between him and Jenson Button.
"We have two champions in the side. No doubt they want to beat each other," he said.
Button had won the drivers` championship in 2009 and Hamilton won it in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’