It will be a battle of package between me and Vettel: Alonso
Greater Noida: Just six points separate the two-way title race between defending champion Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull and Fernando Alonso and the second-placed Ferrari driver feels that the remaining four races, which will decide the eventual winner, would be a "battle of package" between the two outfits.
With 206 points in his kitty, Alonso is presently lying a close second to Vettel, who is leading the driver standings.
But Alonso feels he has every chance of beating Vettel for the title race, provided he comes up with four more "perfect races" this season.
"Still four races to go and I have nearly the same points as Vettel. There is all possibility to push for the championship (title). (As a team) we are in a position to fight for the world championship," he said at the Buddh International Circuit here today ahead of Sunday`s Indian Grand Prix.
Asked about the mouth-watering duel between him and Vettel, Alonso said: "It will be a battle of package. Everyone will have their strong points and weak areas. At the moment Red Bull may have the fastest cars, especially on qualifying days, but we will try to use our strong points.
"Our performance (this season) may have been up and down but our approach towards a race is the same, there is no difference. We were leading the championship till the last race in Korea, thanks mainly to our consistency. We had 16 perfect races and we just need another four perfect races. If we can have another four perfect races, I think we will be very close to winning the championship."
After 16 races, the race for the constructors` championship is also wide open with Red Bull leading the team standings with 367 points, just 77 points ahead of second-placed Ferarri (290), and Alonso said the Italian outfit is completely focussed on producing improved performances in the remainder of the season.
"In the last few races our car has been very strong, very quick. But there are ups and downs for everybody. We need to improve our situation, our level of competitiveness. The whole team wants to win the championship. So, everyone is fully focussed," the Spaniard said.
He also lavished praise on the BIC, which will host its second F1 race on Sunday.
"The track is one of the most challenging, especially the first sector. It has very high speed corners. Tomorrow it may not be that good because it did not host many races after last year`s Grand Prix. But I think it will be at its best on Saturday (qualifying) and Sunday," Alonso said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- I have made many fashion blunders: Karisma Kapoor
- Hyundai to bring hybrids to India by next year
- Los Angeles Police say reports of gunfire at airport were false alarm, 'Zorro' detained
- Happy Birthday Dhyan Chand: 10 interesting facts you must know about India's hockey legend
- AAP-Sheila Dikshit trying to suppress Rs 400 crore water tanker scam: BJP