Italian Superbike racer dies in fatal crash
Moscow: Italian Superbike racer Andrea Antonelli died after a crash at the World Championship`s Moscow round Sunday, local police said.
The event was held in the Volokolamsk district of Moscow region in torrential conditions. The collision happened on the approach to the final corner, involving Antonelli and other two racers, according to the police.
"Three racers were injured in a collision, and one of them, an Italian, died of the injuries suffered," a regional police spokesperson told reporters.
The slippery conditions caused many leading riders to crash out in the event, including pole sitter Davide Guigliano.
The race and following events of the day were cancelled due to the fatal accident. The Russian Investigation Committee confirmed the death of Antonelli, saying a preliminary inquest is underway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend