Jenson Button gets grid penalty for Japan GP
New Delhi: McLaren`s Jenson Button will drop five places on the grid at the start of the Formula One Japanese Grand Prix Oct 7 due to a gearbox change.
Teammate Lewis Hamilton retired from the lead during the Singapore Grand Prix Sep 23 with a transmission issue. Post-race check-ups on Button`s car have uncovered an identical problem, according to the official Formula One website.
"Both cars must start the Japanese Grand Prix with new gearboxes which means that Jenson will receive a five-place penalty," said McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe.
Button is sixth in the driver`s championship table with 119 points, 75 behind leader Fernando Alonso of Ferrari and 23 behind Hamilton, who escapes a penalty as he did not finish in Singapore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living