Jenson Button gets grid penalty for Japan GP
New Delhi: McLaren`s Jenson Button will drop five places on the grid at the start of the Formula One Japanese Grand Prix Oct 7 due to a gearbox change.
Teammate Lewis Hamilton retired from the lead during the Singapore Grand Prix Sep 23 with a transmission issue. Post-race check-ups on Button`s car have uncovered an identical problem, according to the official Formula One website.
"Both cars must start the Japanese Grand Prix with new gearboxes which means that Jenson will receive a five-place penalty," said McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe.
Button is sixth in the driver`s championship table with 119 points, 75 behind leader Fernando Alonso of Ferrari and 23 behind Hamilton, who escapes a penalty as he did not finish in Singapore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?