JPSI gets thumbs up from F1 supremo
Greater Noida: Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone today lauded the organisers of the Indian Grand Prix for improving the facilities and also termed the Buddh International Circuit as one of best in the world.
"From what we saw last year, it has been a massive improvement. The good thing is that when there is something wrong they don`t run away and hide. They put it right," the F1 boss, who celebrated his 82nd birthday told reporters.
Last year close to one lakh people had thronged the BIC to watch the inaugural F1 race in the country but this year just over 50,000 people are in attendance.
Ecclestone said it was nothing to worry about as it is the case all around the world. However, he said if attendance does not improve in the third year, it will be a concern.
"No. First is always high, second it goes down. Third year is what is important, if it does not go up that is something to worry," he said.
Asked how India is seen as an F1 host, Ecclestone said, "The world knows India. It`s (circuit) one of the best in the world. We are lucky to have big budgets in Asia."
Asked what should be the ideal race attendance for a country like India, where the population is close to 1.2 billion.
"It`s difficult to answer that since we have competition from what you call that sport, cricket," he said.
Talking about the much-debated issue of budget cap in the sport, the F1 chief said a cap that covers all the spending of teams is the best way to go forward.
"We are looking at the right way of putting it in. I hate the word cut, it`s not the way to go. What we are trying to do is to reduce the money spent, create a sensible budget and not spend a fortune.
"I am talking about the maximum spend including everything (like drivers salary). Once we agree on that in principle then we will take it forward," he said.
He also said that a decision on a Grand Prix in France will be taken by "next week".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack