Karthikeyan ends Auto GP season with five wins
Brno (Czech Republic): Narain Karthikeyan’s 2013 Auto GP World Series season came to a controversial end Sunday when he was disqualified due to a loose front wing after managing second place in the final race of the weekend here at Brno Circuit.
The disappointing result puts paid to Karthikeyan’s title hopes despite winning the maximum number of races (five) in the season. The Indian’s Supernova teammate Vittorio Ghirelli won the championship courtesy 11 podiums, including two wins.
The Indian driver, who pulled off a scintillating drive Saturday to win from third on the grid, was on a mission once again as the lights went out for the final race of the 2013 season with the championship title at stake.
An aggressive start saw him make a couple of places on the opening lap but he was stuck in traffic for the following laps which allowed Japanese Kimiya Sato to eke out a comfortable lead at the front of the pack.
He was still posting consistently fast lap times, having passed Ghirelli early on. The Supernova crew elected then to pit Karthikeyan to put on a fresh set of soft tyres, which the former Grand Prix driver had saved for race two, and get him out in clean air.
The plan seemed to be working well until Karthikeyan’s front wing came slightly loose as he exited the pitlane. A lap later, the left side on the wing was hanging off, scraping the ground on occasions.
Subsequently, he was shown the black and orange flag - which indicates that the driver has to pit within three laps and change the damaged part. But the team elected to keep him out as he was the fastest car on the track at the time and hoping that he would be able to take the win. He held on and kept Sergio Campana at bay to finish second.
Post-race though, the stewards ruled that the team had not respected the flag and hence the 36-year-old was disqualified.
Asked about the Auto GP experience, Karthiekyan said: “It has been a great season overall, I enjoyed competing at the front and fighting at the front for wins and pole positions among a strong grid of drivers.
“In fact, it was a breath of fresh air after two seasons in F1 with HRT. I’ve been driving better than ever and it feels great have results to show for it. Our championship effectively started Silverstone (round four) so this result is like winning the title," he added.
Karthiekyan could only collect 33 points from the first six races where he was driving for Zele Racing.
But since switching over to Supernova International from round four in Silverstone, he consistently proved himself to be the fastest driver on the grid, having clinched four pole positions and five wins from 10 races while scoring 162 points from the total 240 available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh