Karthikeyan takes second straight Auto GP pole
Mugello (Italy): India`s Narain Karthikeyan romped to his second successive Auto GP pole position in the fifth round of the championships at the Mugello Circuit here Saturday.
Karthikeyan came up with a flying lap of 1:34.583 to top the half four session for his new team Super Nova. His teammate Vittorio Ghirelli had the provisional pole but ended up third fastest with 1:34.757. The two Super Novas were split by Ghinzani`s Kevin Giovesi, who clocked 1:34.618.
Race one takes place later on Saturday and race two on Sunday.
Karthikeyan had claimed pole in the last round at Silverstone after shifting to Super Nova from Zele Racing. The former HRT driver was awarded his maiden Auto GP win after Giovesi was stripped of the victory for pitlane infringement.
The Coimbatore-based driver will go into the race high on confidence. He has started well at a circuit he is not familiar with, emerging fastest in qualifying as well as the practice session on Friday.
Karthikeyan was third on the timesheets with 10 minutes remaining. Giovesi produced a scorcher to displace Ghirelli from provisional pole before the Indian came up with his fastest lap.
Championship leader Kimiya Sato will start fifth for Euronova and former Grand Prix driver Christian Klien tenth for Zele.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj