Karun Chandhok targets podium at Imola
Imola (Italy): Indian driver Karun Chandhok will race at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari circuit for the first time this weekend when he competes for Murphy Prototypes in Round 2 of the European Le Mans Series (ELMS).
Chandhok heads to the infamous circuit in a year that coincidentally marks the 20th death anniversary of the great Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger who tragically lost their lives here in 1994.
Round 1 of the ELMS saw Chandhok and his Murphy Prototypes lose a spot on the podium due to a punctured tyre.
Chandhok reeled off four consecutive fastest laps in his recovery drive to bring the car back up to eighth place after slipping down to 28th position at one point.
The former Formula 1 driver is hoping for better luck this weekend.
"Last time out in Silverstone the car was really good but getting the puncture was just unlucky. I hope we have a better weekend. Imola is one of the few anti-clockwise circuits and am looking forward to learning another new track. Our target is a podium this weekend so let`s hope we can have a clean weekend. This weekend race should also help us in preparing as a team for the big Le Mans 24 hours race next month," said Chandhok.
The poignancy of going back to Imola this year wasn`t lost on Chandhok either.
"Senna has been an inspiration to all of us and it will be an honour to race here almost 20 years since the day of his tragic accident. The memory of that weekend is still very clear in my mind and although the circuit has changed a bit in its layout, it`s still one of those really historic places to visit," he added.
Free practice 1 and 2 will take place on Saturday while qualifying and race will take place on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared