Kubica puts Renault on top in final Brazil practice
Sao Paulo: Renault’s Robert Kubica kept Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel off the top of the timing screens in a wet final practice for the potentially title-deciding Brazilian Grand Prix on Saturday.
The Pole lapped the undulating anti-clockwise Interlagos circuit in one minute 19.191 seconds, with Vettel’s best lap 0.309 slower.
Vettel, fourth in the championship and one of five contenders for the Formula One title with one race remaining after Brazil, had been quickest in both Friday sessions.
McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton, experimenting with different rear wings in a search for more performance, was third fastest ahead of the Ferrari pairing of Brazilian Felipe Massa and championship leader Fernando Alonso.
Alonso can become the sport’s youngest triple champion on Sunday if results go his way.
The Spaniard is 11 points clear of Red Bull’s Australian Mark Webber and 21 ahead of Hamilton. Vettel is 25 points off the lead and McLaren’s 2009 world champion Jenson Button barely in contention with 42 points to make up.
Button was ninth in a session that started with all drivers on extreme wet tyres, Webber 11th after being second fastest in both on Friday.
The Australian completed just six laps, compared to Vettel’s 17 however.
More rain was forecast for the later qualifying session.
While Alonso is the only driver who can win the title this weekend, the blunt-speaking Webber has attracted more headlines with comments accusing his team of favouring Vettel and depicting himself as an ‘inconvenient’ contender.
The Australian has also been dogged by paddock speculation that he could leave Red Bull at the end of the season, despite having a contract for 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination