Lewis Hamilton says he doesn’t require Button’s help to win title
London: McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton is confident he is quick enough to win the Formula One driver’s championship this season on his own, and doesn’t want teammate Jensen Button’s help in doing so.
Button had baulked at the idea of answering a team call to surrender his own, slim, hopes and back up Hamilton on Friday.
But on the eve of Sunday’s Belgian GP, Hamilton said he is determined to go it alone and win or lose one of the tightest championships in years on merit.
Hamilton also took jibes at seven-time champion Michael Schumacher and this season’s table leader Fernando Alonso, who have often taken the help of teammates to win titles.
“I don’t see racing like that. You look back to the years where drivers let other drivers past them to win the championship,” a daily quoted Hamilton, as saying.
“It doesn’t feel right to me. I wouldn’t be asking for that. If I am not quick enough, I am not quick enough. I want to win because I am the quickest, not because I was given points by someone being held up,” he added.
Hamilton said all he needs from Button, who trails him by 41 points, is for him to do his best and in the process take points off their rivals.
“Jenson races for the team and he races for points for himself as well, plus he is getting stronger as the season goes on. So I anticipate that will be the case throughout the rest of the season,” Hamilton said.
“Jenson and I support each other in trying to win the constructors’ title which in many ways is more valuable to the team. The better he does and the better I do, the better it is for McLaren,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning