Lewis Hamilton thrilled with fifth place
Sakhir (Bahrain): Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton was thrilled at finishing fifth in the Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix.
The 27-year-old Hamilton, in his first season for Mercedes, started ninth on the grid and weaved his way through the field before overtaking Red Bull`s Mark Webber on the final lap, to take eight points from the contest Sunday.
Lotus snatched a one-two with former World champion Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean while Force India`s Paul Di Resta claimed fourth. Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull won the race.
"I`m really happy with our result. It`s been a tough weekend for us but we got through it and finishing in fifth place was some good damage limitation," said the Brit.
"My race didn`t start well at all. I was looking after the tyres but I really struggled on the first two stints and was falling back. But as the temperatures dropped, the car picked up and then I had the grip that I needed to push and close the gap."
Hamilton lies third on 50 points in the overall standings, with Vettel on top with 77 points and Raikkonen ten back in second.
The result kept Hamilton winless in Bahrain.
Formula One will head into a three-week break before restarting with the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona in mid-May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- CRPF trooper killed in landslide near Vaishno Devi shrine
- Defamation case: Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- PM Narendra Modi assures round the clock assistance to flood-hit Varanasi
- How Ola, Uber allowed to run on tourist permit? HC asks govt
- Shiv Sena taunts PM Narendra Modi over arrest of Baloch leaders