Lewis Hamilton wins Italian GP; Di Resta gets 4 points for Force India
Monza: McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton won the Italian GP from pole position and was joined on the podium by a stunning Sergio Perez of Sauber in the second place, followed by Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso.
None of the Red Bull cars could finish the race as both defending champion Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber encountered mechanical problems, forcing them to quit after competing for a good time in the race.
The Silverstone-based Indian team remained in the seventh position in the costructors` championship with 63 points and extended their lead over Williams by 10 points.
Paul di Resta earned four points for Sahara Force India from the Italian Grand Prix with an eighth place finish but his teammate Nico Hulkenberg had to retire in the dying moments of the race despite a superb drive, on Sunday.
Di Resta had qualified fourth but started the race in the ninth position due to a five-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
Though he could not finish the race, Hulkenberg drove superbly after starting last on the grid as he did not set time in yesterday`s qualifying due to a fuel pressure issue.
But Force India now trail Sauber (100) by 37 points and a sixth place finish looks near impossible for them.
Di Resta struggled a bit on the low downforce circuit and was pushed out of top-10 by Webber in lap 11, this was after he was overtaken by Perez.
Hulkenberg, though, was charged up and made his way up with a sensational drive. He jumped to 13th position by lap 16 and the German was soon in top-10 but without a pit stop.
Di Resta was trying hard to be in top-10 and succeeded when Jensen Button`s race ended due to a mechanical failure.
From there, Di Resta gained two more places and since he went for a one-stop strategy tyre degradation could have posed a problem but he maintained that position till the end.
Hulkeneberg rose to as high as 13th when a few cars were forced out of the race due to various issues but with two laps to go, the Force India driver too was pushed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?