Mahindra riders fare well in testing
Jerez: Mahindra Racing completed its programme of pre-season testing in glorious sunshine here Thursday with their riders, Portugal`s Miguel Oliveira and Spaniard Efren Vázquez finishing sixth and 16th, respectively, on the time charts in the Moto3 class.
The new look Mahindra team has made steady progress throughout the winter tests. The focus this week was to work on set-up for the all-new red and white Mahindra MGP-3O motorcycles and to record as many kilometres as possible to identify any issues.
The riders have completed a combined total of 2,427 trouble-free kilometres here at the venue for the third round of this year`s MotoGP World Championship. The bikes will now be packed up and shipped directly to Qatar for the season-opening race on April 7.
"I am very satisfied with the package we have put together since last season in terms of the riders, team and bike," said Mahindra Racing CEO Mufaddal Choonia.
"We are achieving the targets we set after some very hard work from all concerned over the winter. This is an entirely new bike developed between our new Swiss base and Mahindra in India.
"I think it looks great and the feedback from the riders has been good. It is encouraging to see that our times have not been far from the top group during these tests, but we are not getting ahead of ourselves."
Miguel Oliveira`s best lap time of one minute, 47.548 seconds (almost half a second quicker than he went at the February test), was the fourth fastest of the final day.
The 18-year-old from Pragal near Lisbon suffered a small fall in the windy conditions, but was nevertheless pleased with the test.
"We have created a good, solid base to start the season. This has been a really good start with no problems with the engine and we have not finished developing the bike yet, so I am sure we can make more improvements.
"What is interesting now is to go to other circuits and work on setting up the bike for those. I can`t wait until Qatar, as racing is different from testing and so only then will we have a true indication of where we are."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory