Mahindra riders looking forward to Le Mans
Mumbai: India`s only motorcycle Grand Prix team resumes battle in France this weekend with high hopes of strong results after a top-10 start for the all-new Mahindra Grand Prix machine.
On track barely six months after the project was initiated, the 250cc Moto3 Mahindra MGP3O has been fast, reliable and successful from the debut in Qatar with a best-ever double top-10 finish at its first attempt.
Seventh-placed Miguel Oliveira moved up to fifth at the next round and the Portuguese teenager was fighting for fourth in Round 3 at Jerez when another rider tipped him off. Teammate Efrén Vázquez (26, from Spain) made up for it with eighth, his second top-10 of the year. Oliveira is seventh and Vázquez 10th overall in the championship standings with Mahindra currently third in constructors` points.
Directly after the race at Jerez the team went testing at the Almeria circuit in Spain.
‘The engine test was encouraging. The riders felt a definite improvement, especially at the top end where we are currently suffering a little against the opposition. Now we are currently running durability tests before bringing the new parts to the track,’ said Mahindra Racing`s CEO Mufaddal Choonia.
Round 4, the second European race, is at the Bugatti circuit at Le Mans. With no long straights and a variety of fast and slow corners, the French circuit favours riding skill and excellent cornering and braking - all areas that should also favour the new Mahindra.
Last year Vázquez and Oliveira were on the front row together, qualified second and third but atrocious conditions took their toll; Vázquez went out on the warm-up lap, and Oliveira was in a substantial lead at two-thirds distance when he slipped off.
‘I`m looking forward to this race. I like the track; last year I was leading until I fell on lap 16 - conditions were crazy wet, with so many accidents. This year, the Mahindra bike is getting better and we understand more about how to find the best setting. It`s more a track for riding than just horsepower and we have the chance of a strong result,’ said Oliveira.
Teammate Vazquez said: ‘I like Le Mans but I had bad luck there last year. I almost made pole position but then I missed the race. Wet or dry, I will be giving my 100 percent.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp