Mallya still not ready to speculate on points
New Delhi: No body is happier than Vijay Mallya after Giancarlo Fisichella’s shock pole position in Belgian Grand Prix but the Force India chairman still does not want to talk about points lest it puts the driver under unnecessary pressure in Sunday’s race.
Talking to reporters from Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium, where Fisichella raised quite a few eyebrows with his stunning pole position, Mallya conceded it was an absolutely fairytale stuff but was not ready to talk about points.
“Let me make it clear, we are starting from the pole position but at the end of the day, it’s not right to speculate. I think getting the pole position is a huge achievement in itself. I’m happy for the team and the members,” he said.
Putting the feat in perspective, Mallya said, “Giancarlo did a brilliant job. To get the pole position in Spa, considered one of the most challenging circuits is a huge thing and I’m extremely happy for the team and the fans.”
Mallya said even Adrian Sutil, who will start 11th tomorrow, could have qualified better but for the mid-field traffic.
“Adrian did a good job but was unlucky not to qualify for Q3 (third qualifying session). He missed it by two hundredth of a second because of the mid-field traffic. Otherwise, he would have started closer than 11th,” Mallya, also the team principal, said.
Despite Force India failing to get its maiden F1 points yet, Mallya pointed out how the team has improved over the last few months.
“We had enough critics who did not realise that when I bought the team towards the end of 2007, it was basically a Spykar car which raced in 2008. Even in 2006 and 2007, it was basically the back marker.
“We worked on the car and in 2009, we moved up to the mid-field. In Valencia, we introduced an aero upgrade and had both the cars inside top 12, ahead of some fancied cars. Now we are here when we have grabbed the pole position ahead of the Ferraris, Brawns, McLarens and BMWs,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'