Mark Webber admits Red Bull on ‘back foot’
Sydney: Mark Webber has conceded Red Bull has been forced on the back foot after a double retirement at the Italian Grand Prix wrecked their chances of defending their Formula One constructor’s world titles.
The 34-year-old Australian, who was forced to retire two laps from the end of a race dominated by McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton, said the team had a few technical issues.
German teammate and defending champion Sebastian Vettel was also forced to abandon the race after being hit earlier with a drive-through penalty for forcing Fernando Alonso`s Ferrari off the circuit.
“At the end of the race, I had no rear tyres left. I was obviously pushing hard and, for the sake of a couple of points, I could have not pushed as hard,” Webber said.
“The rear tyres were completely finished though. And it was a poor day for us as a team. I`m not sure the last time it happened. We`ve had a few technical issues -- and we put ourselves on the back foot today,” he added.
The double retirement was Red Bull`s first in 2012 and left them under pressure to hang on to their crowns.
In the drivers` championship, Vettel has slipped back to fourth on 140 points with Webber fifth on 132 behind Alonso on 179, while in the constructors` title race their lead is now only 29 points ahead of the in-form McLaren, which have taken out the last three races.
Red Bull has 272 points ahead of McLaren on 243, with Ferrari third on 226.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"