Mark Webber admits Red Bull on ‘back foot’
Sydney: Mark Webber has conceded Red Bull has been forced on the back foot after a double retirement at the Italian Grand Prix wrecked their chances of defending their Formula One constructor’s world titles.
The 34-year-old Australian, who was forced to retire two laps from the end of a race dominated by McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton, said the team had a few technical issues.
German teammate and defending champion Sebastian Vettel was also forced to abandon the race after being hit earlier with a drive-through penalty for forcing Fernando Alonso`s Ferrari off the circuit.
“At the end of the race, I had no rear tyres left. I was obviously pushing hard and, for the sake of a couple of points, I could have not pushed as hard,” Webber said.
“The rear tyres were completely finished though. And it was a poor day for us as a team. I`m not sure the last time it happened. We`ve had a few technical issues -- and we put ourselves on the back foot today,” he added.
The double retirement was Red Bull`s first in 2012 and left them under pressure to hang on to their crowns.
In the drivers` championship, Vettel has slipped back to fourth on 140 points with Webber fifth on 132 behind Alonso on 179, while in the constructors` title race their lead is now only 29 points ahead of the in-form McLaren, which have taken out the last three races.
Red Bull has 272 points ahead of McLaren on 243, with Ferrari third on 226.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE