Marussia F1 team now independent from car company
London: The Marussia Formula One team is no longer owned by Marussia Motors and the closure of the Russian sportscar maker will have no effect on its operations, the British-based outfit said on Wednesday.
The RIA Novosti news agency reported that Marussia Motors, who took a majority stake in what was the Virgin Racing team in late 2010, had shut down with staff leaving to join a government-run technical institute.
"The news is unfortunate for those concerned and we wish its employees well for the future," said a spokeswoman for the team. "The supercar project was ambitious but it is disappointing that it was unable to get to market."
The Ferrari-powered team was now controlled by Marussia Communications Ltd, she added, but gave no further details.
Marussia Motors had presented prototypes of two supercars it intended to produce but plans for production stalled before they hit the showrooms.
"There is no impact whatsoever on the Formula One team`s operation," the spokeswoman said. "There is no link between the two companies financially or technically. The F1 team has been an independent operation for some time.
"The F1 team has had a positive start to the 2014 season and looks forward to continued success in the pursuit of its racing ambitions."
Russian-licensed Marussia have yet to score a point in more than four seasons. They are currently 10th of the 11 teams.
Britain`s Max Chilton and France`s Jules Bianchi are their drivers this season, with Chilton finishing 13th in Bahrain at the weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA