Marussia test driver loses eye after crash
London: Marussia test driver Maria deVillota has lost her right eye after a crash while testing its Formula One car, the team said Wednesday.
De Villota was hospitalised with serious head and facial injuries after ramming into an articulated truck following an installation lap at Duxford airfield in Britain on Tuesday.
The 32-year-old Spaniard emerged from overnight surgery on Wednesday, team principal John Booth was quoted as saying on its website.
"It is with great sadness that I must report that, due to the injuries she sustained, Maria has lost her right eye," he said.
The cause of the accident is not yet clear, though speculation has swirled that the car`s anti-stall mechanism kicked in as de Villota was slowing down, inadvertently throwing the car forward and into the truck.
"With regard to the accident, we have embarked on a very comprehensive analysis of what happened and this work continues for the moment," Booth said.
There was no information on any recovery time frame.
"Maria`s care and the well-being of her family remain our priority at this time. Her family are at the hospital and we are doing everything possible to support them."
De Villota was due to carry out a straight-line aerodynamics test on the Duxford runway.
Strict rules govern the amount of on-track testing F1 teams can do, although the rules are looser for straight-line aerodynamic tests, which typically take place on airfield runways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick