Massa needs to up his game to stay at Ferrari
Sao Paulo: Felipe Massa, looking forward to his 100th Formula One race for Ferrari, knows he will have to raise his game to stay with the team after next season.
The Brazilian, twice a winner of his home grand prix at Interlagos and championship runner-up in 2008, has not stood on the podium this year and is sixth in a championship won by Red Bull`s Sebastian Vettel.
"I have a contract with Ferrari until (the end of) next year and this is not the only moment (in my career) that I have to do a good job to renew," Massa told reporters at a mall appearance in Sao Paulo on Wednesday ahead of Sunday`s season-ending race.
"Other times it has happened. I need a good year to continue," he added.
Massa, whose position at Ferrari has been under constant speculation almost since he arrived as a race driver in 2006, has already received a veiled warning from Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.
"We expect great things from him in 2012 and then decide how to proceed. Let`s say he needs to prove himself next season," he told Italian media this week.
Massa said he also hoped to have a more competitive car. "It was not a very good year, it was not an easy year," said the 30-year-old whose team mate Fernando Alonso is third overall and won the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
The Spanish double world champion has 245 points to Massa`s 108 with 25 still to be won.
"To have a competitive car...the work is not only now but a few months ago. We wish to have a car more competitive so that we can play for the championship from the beginning to the end and not just some races," said Massa.
"Although my year was not good, I rely on the strength of the fans, as always...the excitement is always high when I go home," said Massa, winner in Brazil in 2006 and 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi