McLaren boss concedes mistakes gifted Vettel easy win at Indian GP
London: McLaren team principle Martin Whitmarsh has rued the fact that their own mistakes gifted table topper Sebastian Vettel an easy win at last weekend’s Indian Grand Prix.
Whitmarsh admitted his team made it all too easy for Sebastian Vettel as the Red Bull driver closes in on his third consecutive Formula One world title.
McLaren may have equalled a new Formula One benchmark in Sunday`s Indian Grand Prix as they managed to bring a car home in the points for the 55th successive time, but that has done nothing for their title hopes, and Whitmarsh is clearly disappointed by his team’s showing.
“They`ve a fast car, a driver who is consistent and the team has been doing a good job. But we have made it all too easy for him. In India, for instance, we needed to get up there and give him a harder time at the start,” a daily quoted Whitmarsh, as saying.
“But we weren`t able to make anything stick, and instead our two guys found themselves fighting each other and Fernando on the first lap. That was probably the dream ticket for them (Red Bull), but they have done a great job,” he added.
McLaren can still win the constructors`` championship, but it is now a mathematical long shot as they trail by 101 points, with a maximum of 129 available.
It appears as if McLaren`s unwanted record of never having won the constructors` title since 1998 is set to continue, leaving them with nothing more than three race wins to aim for.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read