McLaren boss concedes mistakes gifted Vettel easy win at Indian GP
London: McLaren team principle Martin Whitmarsh has rued the fact that their own mistakes gifted table topper Sebastian Vettel an easy win at last weekend’s Indian Grand Prix.
Whitmarsh admitted his team made it all too easy for Sebastian Vettel as the Red Bull driver closes in on his third consecutive Formula One world title.
McLaren may have equalled a new Formula One benchmark in Sunday`s Indian Grand Prix as they managed to bring a car home in the points for the 55th successive time, but that has done nothing for their title hopes, and Whitmarsh is clearly disappointed by his team’s showing.
“They`ve a fast car, a driver who is consistent and the team has been doing a good job. But we have made it all too easy for him. In India, for instance, we needed to get up there and give him a harder time at the start,” a daily quoted Whitmarsh, as saying.
“But we weren`t able to make anything stick, and instead our two guys found themselves fighting each other and Fernando on the first lap. That was probably the dream ticket for them (Red Bull), but they have done a great job,” he added.
McLaren can still win the constructors`` championship, but it is now a mathematical long shot as they trail by 101 points, with a maximum of 129 available.
It appears as if McLaren`s unwanted record of never having won the constructors` title since 1998 is set to continue, leaving them with nothing more than three race wins to aim for.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged