McLaren braced for `toughest` race of season
Sepang: Lewis Hamilton knows he faces a monumental challenge if he wants to turn pole position into a Malaysian Grand Prix victory on Sunday, describing the race as the toughest of the Formula One season.
Hamilton led a McLaren one-two in qualifying for the second week in a row on Saturday and, after finishing third behind team mate and fellow Briton Jenson Button in Melbourne, the 2008 world champion is ready to give his all for a tilt at a first victory in Sepang.
"This is a very tricky circuit because of the track temperatures and of the humidity," Hamilton told reporters.
"It`s going to be massively tough tomorrow but we just have to make sure we prepare ourselves in the best way we can."
Behind the McLaren pair lies the triple threat of Michael Schumacher`s Mercedes and the Red Bulls of Mark Webber and world champion Sebastian Vettel, giving Hamilton plenty to think about on the dash to the first corner.
"It`s a very long haul down to turn one," he said.
"Just in the conditions, you never know what is going to happen. I hope it stays dry. But these tyres are having a seriously hard time around here, especially under 150kgs of fuel.
"It`s going to be interesting. I don`t know how it will go but I will do everything possible to make sure we`re as competitive as possible."
Button loves nothing more than a combative start and after passing his team mate in Melbourne early on he is relishing the prospect of repeating the feat in Malaysia.
"I think it will be an exciting start. Not just us two on the front row, the Mercedes is renowned, especially Michael, for getting good starts, so it`s going to be a fun turn one," the 2009 world champion said.
"This is a fast, flowing circuit and a circuit that`s tough in many ways for the car, for the tyres and for us sat in the cockpit as well.
"So it`s a long, hot afternoon tomorrow but I`m looking forward to it. I think we have a good race car, difficult to know how good but I think our long-run pace yesterday showed some reasonable consistency."
Team principal Martin Whitmarsh praised both drivers on their performances so far in Malaysia and is hoping the good form continues through Sunday`s race.
"It was tough. It was very close and both drivers did a great job," Whitmarsh said.
"Lewis did just that fantastic first lap and Jenson, as ever, just pulled it out at the end. It was close and competitive but both guys did great laps and a well-deserved front row.
"It`s a long and a hot race so there`s a long way to go yet, no points on the board but a pretty good result all round."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark