Mercedes to allow Hamilton and Rosberg to race freely for rest of F1 season
London: Mercedes will reportedly allow their drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to race freely for the rest of the Formula One season following a thrilling battle at the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Hamilton reportedly held off Rosberg at Sakhir on Sunday, while the team`s only demand was that the drivers did not crash.
The two teammates were side by side many times during the race, with each pushing the other to the limits of the track and beyond while fighting for victory, the BBC reported.
Mercedes co-team boss Paddy Lowe said that there is no reason to not allow the two racers to race as they pleased without any team orders.
Lowe`s partner Toto Wolff said that it is great to watch two drivers of that level racing `fair and square` adding that Formula One racing does not get any better advertising when lot of people were talking Formula One down as the two drivers delivered a mega-show without risking the other car.
Wolff said that one needs the drivers to know that it is important not to risk the image of such a brand like Mercedes, as it is a big brand, adding that the Rosberg and Hamilton did it in a `fantastic and spectacular way`.
Lowe said that the team felt it as their duty to let their drivers race without interference as Mercedes has dominated in the early stages of the new season.
Lowe said that what a terrible thing it would have been for Formula one and Mercedes` philosophy in motorsport if they would have imposed team orders from lap two or something, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand