Michael Schumacher denies contract extension
Abu Dhabi: Michael Schumacher denied that he was in discussions with Mercedes to extend his contract beyond next season.
"According to some journalists, yes," the seven-time Formula One champion, who made his comeback last season at the age of 41 and after three years out, told reporters at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
"The reality, no. I need a little bit more time to see sort of about myself and how we are heading and some more input to see whether that is what I want or not."
Mercedes announced earlier that Schumacher`s team mate Nico Rosberg had agreed a new deal keeping him at the team beyond 2013.
Schumacher said he was happy for Rosberg, considering it the most logical decision and was himself thinking only of this year and next.
"It is clear that it doesn`t change at all my own thinking and process of having the way that decides the future," he added.
German media had already reported that Schumacher, who will be racing again for Mercedes next year, had negotiated an extension.
Schumacher, who notched up five successive titles with Ferrari, has not been back on the podium since he retired from Formula One as a Ferrari driver in 2006.
However, the most successful driver the sport has ever witnessed has shaken off the rust and shown notable improvement in form this season although the Mercedes has not been quick enough to challenge Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari for victories.
How good the car turns out to be next year, and how quickly the team can progress to becoming race winners and title contenders, is likely to be a factor in Schumacher`s decision.
"In the end yes there will be something, but most important is - do I feel it? Do I want it or not? That is something we will find out in the future. Not right now," Schumacher said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- 'Revamped' Varanasi ghats to go green - PM Modi set to distribute e-boats to boatmen of Ganga
- Air travellers to get refund on development fee for tickets booked beyond April 30
- Waqar Younis blames Shahid Afridi for T20 losses, wants Umar Akmal axed from team
- 35 mn talked about Indian assembly polls on Facebook; BJP most discussed party
- Sensex sweats as BoJ holds off on stimulus, skids 160 points