Michelin is open to returning to Formula One: Report
Paris: France`s Michelin(MICP.PA) said it was open to supplying tyres to Formula One racing teams next season if it can agree terms with the sport`s governing body, according to an interview in le Figaro.
Italy`s Pirelli (PECI.MI) is currently the only supplier of tyres for Formula One racing teams, and it said on Saturday that contracts were already signed for next season with 10 of the 11 teams.
Pascal Couasnon, who directs Michelin`s competition unit, said Michelin had sent messages to the International Automobile Federation (FIA) although no date was set for discussions. "Our position is now known. If they are willing to talk... we are ready to do so," Couasnon said.
One issue is the size of the tyres. Michelin wants to make Formula One tyres with an 18 inch rim, said Couasnon. Pirelli tyres this season for Formula One are 13 inch.
Michelin`s possible return to Formula One comes seven years after it withdrew from the competition, and comes after rival Pirelli has been dogged by tyre blowouts this year.
Pirelli had sought to design tyres to wear quickly to shake up the race strategy and encourage overtaking, but the new models have had safety issues. Pirelli has had to make the tyres more durable and revert to last year`s structure with 2013 compounds.
Couasnon said if Michelin were to supply tyres for Formula One next season then discussions with the FIA would need to be concluded before the end of October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured