Motorsports: Team MRF deliver 1-2 finish
Whangarei (New Zealand): Team MRF achieved a 1-2 finish here Sunday with Esapekka Lappi and Gaurav Gill finishing in that order in the International Rally of Whangarei that also doubled up as the first round of the 2013 FIA Asia Pacific Rally Championship.
Visiting New Zealand for their first time, 22-year-old Finn Esapekka Lappi (co-driver Janne Ferm) led from start-to-finish driving the Skoda Fabia S2000.
Lappi extended his overnight lead to a winning margin of four minutes, 03.2 seconds after winning seven of the day`s eight remaining special stages.
Indian champion Gill (Glenn Macneall), also in a Skoda Fabia S2000, was hampered by a rear differential mechanical failure during Sunday`s loop of four stages while Lappi had a trouble-free run. Local challenger Ben Hunt (Tony Rawstorn) in a Subaru Impreza WRX was a distant third.
Lappi said: ‘A very good result. We`ve had heavy rain and it got really muddy in some places with fog as well on Saturday. I had to focus on keeping rhythm to suit these roads, but basically they were how I thought they were going to be.’
Happy to be able to match the pace of his team-mate when things ran smoothly, Gill was pleased with his overall result and said: ‘I love the roads here and I really enjoyed it this year. We went faster than last year, so hopefully by next year, we will be faster again and we will be aiming to win.’
Lappi came away with the maximum 39 points while Gill was nine adrift and would be looking to consolidate their positions in the second round that will be held in New Caledonia on June 15-16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends