New engines will still sound like F1, says FIA
London: New V6 turbo engines due to be introduced in 2014 will still sound like proper Formula One units, the sport`s governing body said.
Moving to quell fears expressed by promoters and commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone that the reduced noise of the new and smaller engines would alienate fans, the International Automobile Federation (FIA) published more details.
Significantly, it said a proposed rev limit had been raised from 12,000 rpm to 15,000 "to allow engineers more flexibility in power and energy management.
"However, as a consequence of the new architecture (V6) and the change in rev-limit, the engine will sound different, but will remain representative of Formula One," it added.
The current 2.4 litre V8 engines are limited to 18,000 rpm.
The FIA said the rev limit would also pose more of a challenge to manufacturers seeking to reduce friction and gain engine efficiency.
"The challenge will be even bigger than originally planned and will therefore enhance the technological lead of Formula One," it said.
The governing body acknowledged that the switch from a previously proposed four cylinder engine would involve extra costs for manufacturers who had already started work on projects and would now need to adapt them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid