Newey waits for new Mercedes to reveal its secrets
London: Mercedes gave their new Formula One car a track debut away from prying eyes on Thursday amid lingering suspicions that the late arrival meant the team had something to hide from copycat rivals.
The team said Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg each did 50km at Silverstone circuit for what was officially a private filming day before the launch of the W03 at the second pre-season test in Barcelona next week.
German media have speculated that the car, which features a stepped nose like all the others except McLaren, has been held back to give rivals less time to crack its secrets before the season starts in Australia on March 18.
Adrian Newey, multiple title-winning designer for champions Red Bull, said that was always a possibility.
"I was told by the German press, whether this is true or not, that the car was ready to run at the last test but they chose not to and why would that be?," he said before being inducted into the Motor Sport magazine Hall of Fame at an event in London.
"I said I`ve got no idea but why you might choose to do that would be if you had some feature on your car which you think is a big benefit and which is relatively easily copied. I`m not saying that is the reason, but it`s a possible reason.
Mercedes, run by former Brawn GP principal and ex-Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn, have said they decided to launch the car later than others to give themselves the maximum time for development.
Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren all tested their new cars in Jerez last week. Apart from Mercedes, only Marussia (formerly Virgin) and HRT have yet to take the wraps off their 2012 machines.
Newey said it would take about six weeks to evaluate properly a development on a rival car and get it to the point where you could put it on your own.
"If you were prepared to simply go out and copy it because you think it`s such a blinding idea without actually evaluating it properly then you can cut a bit of time out of that," added the Briton.
The two most recent examples of teams coming out with a development that others then rushed to copy were the McLaren F-duct and Red Bull`s side exhaust system.
"Last year where we put our exhausts on from the first test and McLaren had managed to copy (us), by their own admission, by the first race. I guess with hindsight we perhaps should have delayed that a bit longer," he said.
The boffin, who has designed title-winning cars for Williams, McLaren and Red Bull, said his new car had performed largely in line with expectations at the first test and could not comment on Ferrari, who seemed to have their work cut out.
However, he pointed out also that lap times could be easily manipulated by fuel levels, particularly at Jerez where each 10 litres of fuel on board equates to around 0.35 seconds a lap.
The Mercedes, he said, would be looked at closely by rivals only if it`s performance indicated they were on to something.
"If it comes out and goes three seconds quicker than anybody else, yes of course," he said.
"Other than that, simply because its later doesn`t mean to say you are going to suddenly show more attention at that than anybody else`s.
"Of course you do look at other people`s cars but I generally find that it this time of the year actually the main thing to do is try and understand your own car rather than worry too much about what everybody else is doing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks