Nico Rosberg wins Australian Grand Prix
Melbourne: Germany`s Nico Rosberg led from start to finish to win an eventful season-opening Australian Grand Prix Sunday as world champion Sebastian Vettel and pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton were both early casualties.
Mercedes` Rosberg beat Australian Daniel Ricciardo, who placed second in his first drive for Red Bull, with McLaren debutant Kevin Magnussen impressively taking third in an exhilarating race in Melbourne.
But there was no joy for Vettel, the four-time defending world champion, and Mercedes` Hamilton who both dropped out early with mechanical problems.
At the start, Rosberg swept to the front from third on the grid and he safely held Ricciardo at bay by 24.5 seconds to give Mercedes, who are already looking dominant, the first win of the season.
It was Rosberg`s fourth GP win and his first since Silverstone last year.
But while Mercedes were celebrating Rosberg`s triumph, they lost Hamilton on the fourth lap with mechanical problems. Vettel also went out early, his first retirement since last year`s British GP.
McLaren`s Jenson Button was fourth with Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso fifth and Valtteri Bottas sixth for Williams.
Fourteen cars of the 22 finished the race, which had its hair-raising moments on the opening lap.
Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi came off together at the first bend and were out of the race, while Vettel struck trouble at the rear of the field.
Stewards said they would be launching an investigation into the Massa-Kobayashi collision.
The Mercedes team told Hamilton he needed to retire on the second lap, but quickly amended the message to "stay out" on the track.
But Hamilton only lasted another lap before he came into the pits and his under-powered car was taken into the team garage.
Vettel followed Hamilton out of the race, retiring on lap six with mechanical problems.
Finland`s Bottas scraped the wall and lost his right rear wheel on the 10th lap and forced the safety car out on to the track.
Bottas pitted for new tyres and rejoined the race and finished sixth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire