Nico Rosberg wins British Grand Prix
Silverstone: Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg won a thrilling and action-packed British Grand Prix here Sunday.
The German driver won only 0.7 seconds ahead of Red Bull's Mark Webber, who came second 7.1 seconds ahead of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso in the 52-lap race, after a series of tyre explosions and punctures disrupted the race bringing out the safety car twice.
Pole position man and local driver Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes had a tyre failure early in the race after a superb start of the grid with Red Bull's triple World Champion Sebastian Vettel overtaking Rosberg for second. Hamilton eventually finished fourth after fighting back through the field.
In the 42nd lap, championship leader Vettel lost drive and also had to retire giving the lead to Rosberg for the first time in the Grand Prix.
Championship contender Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus finished fifth while Ferrari's Felipe Massa finished seventh. Massa had a brilliant start, catapulting ahead of the pack from 11th to fifth before he suffered a tyre explosion which pushed him to the back of the grid.
This is Rosberg's second win of the season after winning the Monaco Grand Prix in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars