No danger to 2014 Indian GP: JPSI
New Delhi: The organisers of the Indian Grand Prix on Wednesday rebutted reports that the 2014 Formula One race in the country was in danger of being scrapped from the calendar due to financial constraints, saying that they are committed to fulfill their contract.
A motorsport website had claimed in an article that the 2013 Indian race was on track but the 2014 edition was doubtful since organisers, Jaypee Sports International Ltd (JPSI), are near bankruptcy.
However, JPSI rubbished the report, mentioning it as "baseless and malicious".
"Some international news organisations are trying to spread rumours that JPSI may not host 2014 Indian GP. This is totally baseless and malicious," Askari Zaidi, the JPSI spokesperson, said.
"Our agreement with Formula One Management is to hold F1 races at Buddh International Circuit (BIC) till 2015, and we are fully committed to do that. There is no reason for us to give up hosting F1 races," he said.
Zaidi also said that JPSI was keen to get some more international car and bike races to BIC, besides F1 and World Superbike Championship which will be held this year on November 17.
"We are fully committed to promote motorsport in India in collaboration with local government and global and local motorsport organisations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption
- Indian ISIS operative says he met Paris bombing accused in Iraq last year