Only a Grand Prix win can save `tough season` for McLaren, says Button
London: McLaren ace Jenson Button has said that only a victory can save his side a tough Formula One season with McLaren being without a podium finish and zero wins during the twelve Grands Prix in this year`s campaign.
Since 1997, McLaren have only once gone through an entire year, 2006, without a race victory and only twice in the team`s history have they competed in a complete season without claiming at least one podium - 1971 and 1980.
According to Metro.co.uk, however, Button said that he does not think that it will be disastrous for his side if they do not achieve a podium finish as they are targeting only a win, adding that winning a grand prix would save a tough year.
However, Button admitted that achieving a victory will be difficult as they are not quick enough and do not have outright speed, adding that his team will need wet weather and everything on their side to make a win happen.
However, the report added that this weekend`s race in Singapore offers up an opportunity for McLaren to taste victory, given the characteristics of the track and venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation