Ostberg edges Ogier on Mexico opening day
Norway`s Mads Ostberg, in a Citroen, led the Rally of Mexico after Friday`s opening five stages, relegating world champion Sebastien Ogier in a Volkswagen into second spot.
Ostberg has a three-second advantage over the Frenchman while Finland`s Mikko Hirvonen was 11 seconds off the pace in a Ford Fiesta in third spot.
Ogier, who went into the race in second place in the world championship behind Volkswagen teammate Jari-Matti Latvala, had won the opening two stages of the day.
But Ostberg prevailed on the third and fourth stages, the longest of the day, before Ogier took took the fifth.
"It`s my first rally on this surface in the Citroen DS3 but I had a good feeling on the first stage and I understood what I had to do to make the most of it," said Ostberg.
Twelve months ago, the Norwegian had put Ogier under huge pressure in Mexico when he was with Ford before electrical problems forced him to retire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says